Wednesday, August 19, 2009

No war, but plenty of skirmishes

OK, I know this is off-topic from what I said this blog was going to be about. I've had a strong interest in the talent management and workforce planning that dates back to my first reading of the Hudson Institute's Workforce 2000 in the 1980s.

A recent article in ASTD's Learning Executives briefing puts forward the idea that the predicted war for talent isn't going to occur. More specifically, that a broad talent shortage as defined by the total U.S. labor force isn't going take place. OK, so there isn't going to be an outright war, but are you going to be involved in a local skirmish for talent?

If you have a role in talent management--attracting, developing, or retaining employees--then you my find yourself in the midst of a local skirmish. An article in the March 2009 BLS newsletter indicates that only health care, mining, and government industries added jobs in 2008. If you are in the health care industry I doubt if anyone will be able to convince you that you are not in the midst of a war, excuse me, skirmish for talent. The unemployed from the 3 million jobs lost in manufacturing, manufacturing, retail, etc. aren't of much help to the recruiter looking for skilled health care workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment